7/20/04

Birthday Wish

Yesterday was my birthday. Pretty much all the people around me in my life were surprisingly thoughtful and generous to me, baking apple and pecan pies (that were so good I nearly passed out), leaving me bags of candy and cards, buying me beer and underwear and iTunes cards and DVDs and more. But my wife - oh, my wife. She went all out, giving herself a sore butt decorating a Happy Birthday message on the driveway, rigging streamers from the light fixture in the dining room as a surprise, getting us tickets to go to King's Island, one of my favorite places anywhere, and launching this here blog for me. Oh, and I got brownies too.

I told her last night that she was really, really good at my birthday, and she knew I was right. I felt special - really, I did, all day, and all weekend. It was much more than I expected or deserved. I also told her that it seemed like she was enjoying being so great to me, and she agreed, she was. I'm looking forward to her birthday now.

When I blew out the candles Sunday night, all in one gust, I actually forgot to make a wish. I was concentrating on all the singing and the inhaling and all that affiliated pandemonium, but now that things have calmed back down, I've had some time to think, and I think I've formulated my real wish:

I wish for all people to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end, and giving end, of such kindness. That's all.

No comments: