8/12/04

Trust Worthy

At quarter-to-four this morning, I woke up my wife, nudged her out of bed and into the hallway, slipped her coat over her shoulders and led her to the car. As we drove down the dark roads outside our neighborhood, she guessed where we were going - to a park to watch the meteor shower. She loves shooting stars.

When we got back, it was around quarter after four, and we both stumbled back into bed. She smiled at me with her eyes closed and said thank you. As we both settled in again, she murmured that until the moment she guessed where we were going, she thought maybe I was having an extended sleepwalk and that I intended to kill her. "But you just went along with it," I said. "You just got in the car and waited quietly."

"I know," she said softly, and drifted off to sleep.

No comments: