3/2/05

Have Mercy

The other day my friend Geraldo heard this song on the radio and really liked it.

It was kinda catchy, a little pop-py, but with an edge to it - like the lead singer, whoever he was, really *felt* what he was singing about, and wasn't ashamed to really throw himself into the performance. And to top it off, it was a love song. Geraldo's been pretty hung up on the love songs lately.

I guess it stuck with him, this song, and over the next couple days Geraldo found himself singing along whenever it came on the radio. He'd sing, and grimace - you have to grimace when belting out a passionate love song - and imagine the words were his, that the love of his life could hear him baring his soul to her, right there in rush hour traffic. After all, this guy on the radio really managed to plumb the depths of a genuine love, how it feels to be absolutely devoted to someone. Finally, someone understood. Before long it was more or less Geraldo's Song.

Well, it turns out to be Christian Rock.

Geraldo is not a fan of the Christian Rock. Not at all. So now he's all upset, angry - a little betrayed even. How could this happen? He was so *certain* it was about a woman. A *hot* woman, probably. And now this.

Those vague lyrics. That second-person format. The chart-topping faith-based initiative disguised as a plea for romance. I'm with you, Geraldo. Anybody could have made that mistake.

Sneaky Christian rockers.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Due to overwhelming public curiosity concerning this entry - one guy asked what song I was talking about - I'm submitting here a sampling of the lyrics. The song is "Here With Me," by MercyMe, and it just cracks me up how obvious it seems, once you know the truth:

"And I can feel your presence here with me
Suddenly I'm lost within your beauty
Caught up in the wonder of your touch
Here in this moment I surrender to your love"