6/23/06

Actually, It May Well Be The Shoes

I had intended to write more on the topic of racket, since I'm interested in it, and since I do have a neighbor who insists on racing his farty Harley up my street EVERY FIRETRUCKING MORNING at 7:30, but I won't. Not yet.

And I would like to mention that tomorrow we're making our second attempt at Kings Island with Mason, and there is NOT EVEN A SPRINKLE of rain in the forecast for Cincinnati, and I'm pretty darned excited about that too. All caps excited, you may have noticed.

But instead of loud pipes or rollercoasters I will expound on the topic of footwear -- specifically, mine. Now, certain individuals have expressed doubts regarding my willingness to wear silly or outlandish clothing, e.g. puffy shirts.

I intend to lay such concern to rest with the following pasted images, both representing footwear owned -- and worn -- by me.



Ah, the Ponys. These are vintage 1980s hi-tops, supposedly worn by Spud Webb, and reissued in 2003 to be snapped up by discerning writer-dorks such as myself. They're also the ugliest shoes I've ever seen, and for that I love them. The first time he saw me in them, my friend Geraldo cheered and said, "Hey! What's up with the burglar boots?"

Which brings me to...



The Onitsuka Tigers. First off: they're called "Onitsuka Tigers." So already you have to like 'em. The company was founded on the principle of 'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano', which means 'A Sound Mind in a Sound Body' and acronym-izes into ASICS. These were designed for the Japanese fencing team to use in the 1984 L.A. Olympics.

I wear 'em every chance I get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

personally, I LOVE the tigers!! i want me some! Do they make 'em wee-sized? but mostly I just wanted to say that I LOVE the word "racket"... it's one of those descripty words that sound just like their meaning. (I'm sure there's a term for that but my brain is still in the overhead luggage bin circling Laguardia Airport.) Like the word 'squat' or 'spangles'. And also, I love that you described the Harley as being farty.Unfortunately, I feel your pain there as we also have frigging farty firetrucking Harleys in my neighbourhood too that insist on being ridden in the wee hours of the morning. Primarily Saturday mornings, when decent citizenry are attempting sleep Saturday morning lie-ins. How do you spell annoying? Oh yeah, H-A-R-L-E-Y!!!

adoring you right down to your footwear,
wee xo