4/18/07

The Importance of Being Weird

There's a realtor by where I live, trying to sell a house. His sign is out front: "For Details, Call Charlie Disharoon." Now, I pass his sign a lot. But I can tell you that even from the very first time I saw it, that name -- Charlie Disharoon -- has been lodged in my brain, and I'll bet it's now lodged in yours, too. Charlie Disharoon. You find yourself repeating his name to yourself, just for fun. You picture him answering the phone: "Charlie Disharoon -- how the heck you doin'?" It's fun.

Think that'd have happened with Jim Roberts, Certified Realtor? Heck no. That guy's as anonymous as his wrinkle-free, stain-free khakis. And I'll bet if you look at the sales numbers, Ol' Charlie is eating Jim's *lunch.*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! My Dad's name was Charlie Disharoon... He was an insurance broker in the SF Bay Area all his life... We got a lot of jokes about our name but people always remembered it! It's a great name until you have to sign it a million times!
Lynn Disharoon

Colin said...

So glad you liked this, Lynn! I still love your dad's name, and yours, and it just makes my day that you ran across this post.

Anonymous said...

Colin, what city do you live in where you saw the real estate sign?

Lynn Disharoon
Walnut Creek, CA

Colin said...

I don't live there anymore, but it was in Columbia, SC that I saw the sign, and according to this link: ( http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Real_Estate_Pro-Blythewood_SC-344164/ ) Mr. Disharoon's offices are in Blythewood, just north of there. Funnily enough, it also seems he's got connections to both our areas, sort of: He went to college at the University of San Francisco and got his Master's at Butler, in my hometown of Indianapolis!