7/23/07

Pi Approximation Approximation Day

NERD ALERT: I'm about to start talking about pi, the mathematical constant (you know, 3.14159265358979323846264338327... and so forth) which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. Anybody who doesn't want to hear about π, please turn away *now.*

*****

Now, some people like to celebrate this trancendental figure in the second week of March, because, you know, 3/14 and all (and I bet they had a blast in 1592), but for me that's simply NOT DORKY ENOUGH.

I instead choose to observe Pi Approximation Day, which takes (or took) place on July 22. We have it then because *that* day, the 22nd day of the 7th month, *also* corresponds to π in that π (approximately) equals 22/7, or twenty-two sevenths. I apologize to anyone offended by improper fractions.

Although if you have some pies cut into sevenths and would like to give me 22 of those pieces, I am absolutely fine with that.

And just to prove that I'm not a *total* nerd, I will point out that I technically missed Pi Approximation Day this year because I was busy doing other, cooler things.

Like, uh, raves.

I was at a rave. Raving.

Anyways.

And yes, I've gone on about this before.

1 comment:

lorna said...

I Love Pi. But I think I prefer the fibonacci sequence even more.